My last web site update was when I joined the Colburn School in 2018 as Director of Chamber Music. Now my term is ending, and I’ll be officially back in Canada with my family.
I really enjoyed working with the many talented students at Colburn. In particular the Viano Quartet!
And it was thrilling to collaborate with Arnold Steinhardt in directing the Beethoven 250 Festival, where we presented a complete cycle of the String Quartets with the Calidore Quartet, and in faculty/ student combinations.
Things I will miss about Colburn and Los Angeles:
• my amazing studio with a beautiful view of Grand Ave and the Broad Museum.
• The terrific staff at Colburn. The music library! Eating on the Plaza on a nice day.
• Grand Central Market! Espresso at G & B… mmm…
• riding lots of trains on LA Metro, especially the Expo Line when it rises high above the street on the West Side.
• DISNEYLAND (of course!!)
• Exploring LA on foot. Union Station, the Arts District, Historic Downtown, Pasadena, Hollywood, Santa Monica…
Here’s a nice pic of Arnold Steinhardt & I from Marlboro 2019:
Things Julia will miss:
• The colourful halls at Colburn
• The Broad
• The Metro line (and the varieties of fare cards)
• In-person drama & violin classes
• The plaza (café)
• Charlotte & Olivia